Paul Jepsen has developed trial strategies from a social science perspective for twenty-nine years. He has provided jury research and trial consulting on several thousand civil and criminal cases in both state and federal courts. His expertise includes overall trial strategy, opening statements, witness evaluation and preparation, demonstrative exhibits, voir dire, verdict and damages risk analysis and juror questionnaires. He is also a published author and frequent speaker on these issues.
Mr. Jepsen has interviewed tens of thousands of jurors and prospective jurors, and has conducted numerous juror opinion and venue surveys. He has been qualified in federal court as an expert regarding jury selection, communication and persuasion and has had affidavits accepted for use by federal and state courts throughout the country.
He is particularly skilled in translating complex arguments or processes into language and concepts jurors will remember. In addition, he frequently provides risk assessment for litigants including the research-based assessment of case outcome and damage awards. Mr. Jepsen is experienced with empirical research design and analysis and has provided voir dire and jury selection assistance on over 800 cases.
Mr. Jepsen has authored many professional articles about jury decision making in publications such as The National Law Journal, DRI For the Defense, ABA TIPS, Inside Litigation, Atlantic Coast In-House, and the FICC Quarterly. He recently authored the Jury Selection chapter for West Publishing’s “Handling Business Tort Cases,” book. He has lectured and conducted seminars on voir dire, jury selection, and jury behavior for national and state bar associations, and for other legal education programs sponsored by organizations such as the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the American Association For Justice (ATLA/AAJ), the American Law Firm Association International (ALFA International), and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
- Jepsen, P. (2014). Handling Business Tort Cases. Jury Selection Chapter for West Publishing’s book.
- Jepsen, P. (Winter 2014). When Simple Mistakes Become Bad Faith Gold. ABA The Brief.
- Jepsen, P. (2012). Millennials in the Jury Box in Insurance Coverage Cases. ABA TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee.
- Jepsen, P. (2011). Two Sides of Persuasive Communication. ABA-TIPS Trial Techniques Committee.
- Jepsen, P. (2011). The law and, notably, juror attitudes will make insanity defense difficult for Loughner. The National Law Journal.
- Jepsen, P. (2009). Sometimes We Do and Sometimes We Don’t: What Litigators Need to Know About Preference Reversal. ABA-TIPS Section.
Select Speaking Engagements:
- Jepsen, P. (November 2014). Policies, Claims, and Bad Faith: What Jurors Understand and Believe. CLE, Chicago, IL.
- Jepsen, P. (September 2014). Tools for Risk Assessment for Jury Trials. CLE, Cleveland, OH.
- Jepsen, P. (March 2014). Jury Selection and Psychology. DRI -Trial Tactics: Strengthening Your Trial Skills.
- Jepsen, P. (March 2013). Shootout at the OK Corral – What Was That Jury Thinking? ALFA International – Transportation Practice Group Seminar.
- Jepsen, P. (March 2013). The Anatomy of a Catastrophic Trucking Case Key Decisions and Strategy. Transportation MEGA Conference.