Paul Jepsen has developed trial strategies from a social science perspective for twenty-nine years. He has provided jury research and trial consulting on several thousand civil and criminal cases in both state and federal courts. His expertise includes overall trial strategy, opening statements, witness evaluation and preparation, demonstrative exhibits, voir dire, verdict and damages risk analysis and juror questionnaires. He is also a published author and frequent speaker on these issues.
Mr. Jepsen has interviewed tens of thousands of jurors and prospective jurors, and has conducted numerous juror opinion and venue surveys. He has been qualified in federal court as an expert regarding jury selection, communication and persuasion and has had affidavits accepted for use by federal and state courts throughout the country.
He is particularly skilled in translating complex arguments or processes into language and concepts jurors will remember. In addition, he frequently provides risk assessment for litigants including the research-based assessment of case outcome and damage awards. Mr. Jepsen is experienced with empirical research design and analysis and has provided voir dire and jury selection assistance on over 800 cases.
- “Handling Business Tort Cases,” Jury Selection Chapter for West Publishing’s book, 2014
- “When Simple Mistakes Become Bad Faith Gold,” ABA — The Brief, Winter 2014
- “Millennials in the Jury Box in Insurance Coverage Cases,” ABA-TIPS Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2012
- “Two Sides of Persuasive Communication, ” ABA-TIPS Trial Techniques Committee, 2011
- “The law and, notably, juror attitudes will make insanity defense difficult for Loughner, ” The National Law Journal, 2011
- “Sometimes We Do and Sometimes We Don’t: What Litigators Need to Know About Preference Reversal,,” ABA-TIPS Section, 2009
- “Policies, Claims, and Bad Faith: What Jurors Understand and Believe,” CLE, Chicago, IL, November 2014
- “Tools for Risk Assessment for Jury Trials” CLE, Cleveland, OH, September 2014
- “Jury Selection and Psychology,” DRI -Trial Tactics: Strengthening Your Trial Skills, March 2014
- “Shootout at the OK Corral – What Was That Jury Thinking?,” ALFA International – Transportation Practice Group Seminar, March, 2013
- “The Anatomy of a Catastrophic Trucking Case Key Decisions and Strategy,” Transportation MEGA Conference, March 2013