Dr. Michael Biek has over 28 years of experience as a trial consultant, and he has advised clients in over 800 cases. His work includes pre-trial studies, which help attorneys develop case themes, and statistical studies in support of venue motions and jury selections. Dr. Biek is an adept courtroom strategist, and he often advises clients throughout trial in order to help them with their arguments before triers of fact.
As a jury psychologist, Dr. Biek has particular expertise in the fields of intellectual property, contracts, securities, employment, product liability, professional malpractice, insurance and pharmaceutical cases. His research allows the trial team to make a wide-range of decisions; in addition to aiding clients inside the courtroom, he often helps achieve favorable out-of-court resolutions.
- Biek, M. (2010). Jury selection in harassment cases: Discovering juror attitudes that reveal bias. Chapter in Litigating the Workplace Harassment Case, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association, 305-320.
- Biek, M., Wood, W., & Chaiken, S. (1996). Working knowledge, cognitive processing, and attitudes: On the determinants of bias. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 22, 547-556.
- Wood, W., Rhodes, N.D., & Biek, M. (1995). Working knowledge and attitude strength: An information processing analysis. In R. Petty & J. Krosnick (Eds.), Attitude Strength: Antecedents and Consequences. The Ohio State Symposium on Attitudes (Vol. 4). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum Associates.
- Gangestad, S., Simpson, J., Geronimo, K., & Biek, M. (1992). Differential accuracy in person perception across traits: Examination of a functional hypothesis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 62, 688-698.
- Samuelson, C. & Biek, M. (1991). Attitudes toward energy conservation: A confirmatory factor analysis. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 21, 549-568.
Select Speaking Engagements:
- Biek, M., Greeley, A.T., and Rossi, G. (August 2020). The Truth about Jury Psychology: COVID-19 and Beyond. CLE webinar for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
- Biek, M. (biannually 2003 – 2018). Technology in the Courtroom. Widener School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware.
- Biek, M. (July 2016). Advanced Issues in Patent Litigation. Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, French Lick Springs, Indiana.
- Biek, M., and Greeley, A.T. (June 2016). Jury Psychology in Medical Cases & Witness Preparation. Rutgers Health Sciences Department of Risk Management & Insurance, Newark, New Jersey.
- Biek, M. (April 2015). Voir Dire & Jury Selection. American Bar Association TIPS Trial Academy, Reno, Nevada.