Stuart Miles has spent the last twenty-three years consulting on over six hundred cases in 24 states as a social scientist. With his specialized knowledge in personality and social psychology, he consults with trial teams on social, cognitive and technical issues related to trial preparation and case strategy. He has been actively involved in conducting jury deliberation groups, trial simulations, jury selection, witness preparation and post-trial interviews for clients as well as assisting clients before trial and appearing in court to assist with computer-based multimedia presentations.
Dr. Miles conducts both qualitative and quantitative research for clients. He has consulted on cases involving everything from capital murder to products liability including but not limited to perjury, bad faith, medical malpractice, aviation, fraud, pharmaceutical, patent, employment, toxic tort, class actions and wrongful termination.
- Miles, S. (2015). What Color is Your Case? The Do’s and Don’ts of Doing Your Own Focus Group. The Advocate,
- Biek, M,, Fillichio, S., Miles, S. (2010). Jury Selection in Harassment Cases: Discovering Juror Attitudes that Reveal Bias, Litigating the Workplace Harassment Case.
- Miles, S. (2007). Jury Research… Shift the Paradigm, Rethink the Science. Of Counsel
- Bettler, F, R., Jr., Perlman, P., Miles, S. (2002). Using Focus Groups to Prepare for Mediation. The Advocate.
- Bettler, F, R., Jr., Grossman, P. H., Miles, S. (2001). How Might Jurors Be Affected by the September 11th Terrorist Attacks? The Advocate.
Select Speaking Engagements:
- Miles, S.S. (Fall 2020). Trial Strategy in a Virtual World. Broward County (Florida) Bar Association.
- Miles, S.S. (Summer 2020). Jury Research in that Age of Social Distancing. Cobb County (GA) Bar Association & Florida Defense Lawyers Association.
- Miles, S. (2016). The Dos and Don’ts of Effective Voir Dire. Kentucky Justice Association Seminar.
- Miles, S. (2009). Demonstrative Trial Technology. The Aviation and Space Law Committee of the American Bar Association Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section.
- Miles, S. (2008). Jury Selection: How to ask the tough questions to identify the dangerous jurors and Understanding Juror Decision-making. Chattanooga Bar Association.
- Miles, S. (2008). “Advanced Trial Skills,” Kentucky Justice Association & Kentucky Defense Council joint seminar.