Susan Fillichio is a trial consultant specializing in trial strategy development and behavioral research. She assists counsel in developing strategy that effectively communicates her clients’ messages to jurors, judges and arbitrators. During her 32 years in the legal industry and 16 years as a trial consultant, she has assisted trial teams in numerous jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations in state and federal venues across the country. Her work also often assists counsel during mediation and settlement negotiations.
Amongst the disputes on which Ms. Fillichio has consulted are: product liability, toxic tort and asbestos cases; intellectual property and trade secret disputes; securities and ERISA matters (including FINRA arbitrations); insurance coverage disputes; employment cases of all types; defamation cases; construction disputes; anti-trust cases; and class action lawsuits. Her work often serves to help counsel gain strategic advantage during mediation and settlement negotiations.
Ms. Fillichio also specializes in assisting witnesses in communicating effectively with the trier of fact. She has supported corporate representatives, CEOs and high-profile individuals, as well as expert witnesses including engineers, economists and physicians, in preparation for testimony at deposition and trial.
Known for client service, she strives to find the winning strategy and makes trial preparation a smooth, insightful process. Ms. Fillichio leads the research consulting team at DecisionQuest in Los Angeles and is a frequent speaker and contributor to various national publications.
Prior to joining DecisionQuest, Ms. Fillichio was a partner with Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP, Los Angeles, where she held a managing position in the Labor & Employment practice group. She has also practiced with national law firms in Chicago and New York. She interned with the Senate Labor Subcommittee (under Chairman Don Nickles, OK), for Representative Arlan Stangland (MN) and with the American Bar Association. She is proficient in French.
- Bar Admissions: Illinois (1988), New York (1991), District of Columbia (1992), California (1999)
- American Bar Association, Litigation, Bankruptcy, Employment and Intellectual Property Sections.
- Employment Law & Litigation Committee of the ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- LA County Bar Association
- “Work, Sex and the Morning News”, Sexual Harassment and Retaliation: A Practical Handbook for Plaintiff and Defense with Dr. Steve Son and Thi Quang, American Bar Association, Trial & Insurance Practice (2019)
- “Discovering Juror Attitudes that Reveal Bias,” Litigating the Workplace Harassment Case, American Bar Association with M. Biek and S. Miles, ed. Marlene Heyser (2010)
Select Speaking Engagements:
- “Women in Business: Finance and Law,” Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, November 1, 2019
- “Opening Statements: How Important is the First Pitch?” Perrin National Asbestos Litigation Conference, September 2019
- “Trying a Wage and Hour Class Action: View from the Juror’s Eyes,” ABA Labor and Employment Section Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 2018
- “How Juries Think and Behave: Empirical Research from Real Juries,” ABA Annual Meeting, August 2017
- “Mock Trials and Bull: Are Jury Consultants Really Worth It?” DRI Insurance Bad Faith and Extra Contractual Liability Seminar, Boston, MA, June 2017
- Titans of the Bar Demonstrate the Art of Voir Dire,” ABTL, Los Angeles, CA, March 2015
- “Working With Juror Perceptions,” Jury Selection Summit for Trial Lawyers, AELC Annual Meeting, Palm Beach, FL, October 2014
- “I Thought I Had A Good Case: Developing Effective Trial Strategy,” prepared for the Bermuda Market, April 2013
- “The Use of Technology During Openings and Summations,” ABA Litigation Section Roundtable, 2013
- “The Trial Time Machine: Where We Are Going Tomorrow and How to Plan for It – The Future of Preserving, Finding, and Presenting Construction Project Data at Trial,” ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, Irvine, CA, October 2013
- “Changing Landscape: Class Action Litigation after Wal-Mart and AT&T Mobility,” ABA Corporate Counsel Seminar, February 2012, Carlsbad, CA
- “Dissecting the Science: Eavesdropping on a Mock Jury,” National Asbestos Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2012
- “Technology in the Courtroom: A Look Behind the Curtain,” ABTL Annual Seminar, Kauai, Hawaii, September 2012
- “How the Press and Social Media Can Help You Win or Lose Your Case,” 44th Annual Pacific Labor & Employment Bar Conference, May 2011
- “The Ethical Preparation of Witnesses,” ABA Corporate Counsel Seminar, February 2011
- “Watch Out: The Hidden Dangers in Employment Litigation,” Professional Liability Underwriting Society, 2010.
- “Preparing A Claims Professional for Trial or Deposition,” ACE UK, 2010
- “Can You Handle the Truth? How Jury Consultants Can Assist You,” ABA Annual Meeting, 2010
- “Jury Consultants: Can they Help Make You Popular?” EEO’s National Conference on Equal Employment Opportunity Law, 2010
- “Three Perspectives from Asbestos Trials: Judges, Jurors and Lawyers,” National Asbestos Conference, 2009
- “How to Effectively Use Your Jury Consultant,” ABA Annual Meeting, 2008
- “Winning in Employment Litigation—Effective Strategies with Jurors,” Missouri Bar Association, 2008
- “Proving Hidden Bias in Employment Discrimination Cases,” National Conference on EEO Law, 2008
- “Masters of the Courtroom,” Trial Techniques Committee, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice, 2008
- “Voting with the Stars,” ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, 2008
- “Jury Selection in Employment Cases: How to Spot the Harmful Jurors,” Academy of Florida Management Attorneys, 2007
- “Preparing Your Witness for Trial,” American Bar Association ~ Fidelity & Surety Law Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Midwinter Meeting, 2007
- “What Makes an Effective Witness?” Forensic Expert Witness Association
- “Voir Dire in Employment Litigation,” Orange County Bar Association
- “Bias, Ethnicity and Language: Handling the Culturally Diverse Witness,” LA County Bar Association
- “Effective Negotiations,” UCLA School of Business
- “Taking Charge of Your Career: What You Did Not Learn in Law School,” National Association of Women Lawyers, 2006